Thursday 4 February 2016

February 3 2016

The Hospitallers fell when Christendom was divided - the gap in between the first and second sieges of Rhodes was because Islam was divided.

Rhodes was always going to fall - if we are to make an end of it, what an end we'll make.

Written by a Knight of Malta - why do these institutions still have an attraction - Knights, Freemasons etc. - that innate desire in men (mostly, not women so much) to live in heroic times and do heroic things.

The question of what to read - this book passed over my desk and piqued my interest - the Knights have always been fascinating - this book in some ways a dull recitation of the siege but a book that appeals as easily digestible information.

Leaves me in a reading hollow - where to go now - I have my pile of "read and then donate" books staring at me, but there is no theme there. Does there have to be? The constant battle in my mind over that, pointless I know.


Books read: The two sieges of Rhodes 1480-1522 by Eric Brockman

No comments:

Post a Comment